TIPS ON HOW TO KEEP HEALTHY HAIR FOR WINTER
Emerge! Fashion show lead hair designer Rashan Broadnax from Bennett Career Institute and C. Alan Salons in Washington, DC. gives us his advice on how to keep hair healthy during the winter months.
Healthy Hair Tips:
1. If you usually find it necessary to shampoo your hair multiple times during a week, you want to decrease the amount of times you shampoo. Shampooing not only cleanses away the dirt in the hair, but also the natural oils that moisturize the hair and scalp. On days you don’t shampoo, you can rinse your hair with cool or warm water to remove some of the debris and oil.
2. Use a moisturizing conditioner after each shampoo. Conditioners shouldn’t be massaged into the scalp but through the hair. If you experience scalp dryness, use a warm oil treatment regimen. Warm the hair and scalp oil, be sure it it not too hot as it can burn the scalp, apply it to the hair and scalp and allow it to penetrate for 1 to 2 hours then shampoo the hair. It is absolutely fine if the shampoo does not remove all of the oil as it will continue to condition the hair and scalp.
3. Read up on the hair products you use regularly. You want to ensure that the styling product do not have a high alcohol concentration, which can dry the hair and cause the strands to break.
4. It’s winter time, and it’s frigid cold outside…. What do we do turn up the heat inside. Indoor hear can be the leading culprit in drying out your hair. Implement the use of a humidifier inside your home. The humidifier adds moisture to the hair, which will be beneficial for both your hair and skin.
5. Wrap It Up! The blustery temperatures of winter can be high detrimental to the health of your hair. Tie your hair up in a scarf or wear a hat. Most winter hats are made of cotton or wool, both can tear your hair to shreds. If you plan on wearing those ‘oh so cute’ cotton and wool knit and crochet hats, wrap your hair in a silk or satin scarf and then put your hair on. Your hair will thank you in the spring!
WHAT ARE THE NEWEST STYLES THAT CELEBRITIES ARE CURRENTLY WEARING?
We first noticed the resurgence of the Bang on the First Lady, Michelle Obama. Soon after, many celebrities joined her wearing short bangs, long bangs, and my favorite the “Swoop” bang. The great thing about a bang is it can dress up or dress down your hair style; and for many take a few years off adding a fresh, funky and youthful appearance to your hairstyle.
Ombre, s'il vous plaît
The Ombre is another trend that has resurfaced recently. The hair world borrowed the term ‘Ombre’ from the french word meaning shaded or shading. Ombre hair color generally keeps your roots dark down through the mid-shaft and then gradually gets lighter from the mid-shaft to the ends. It is usually achieved using a balayage technique and is ideal for clients looking for a low-maintenance style.This is a style that can be worn by just about anyone as long as the color tones are carefully selected. Those who choose a more dramatic look may go with dark roots and high lift blond ends. Others who want a more subtle style will still have a darker root; however the end color will be closer to that of the roots.
RECOMMENDED HAIR PRODUCTS FOR HAIR IN WINTER
My absolute favorite product is the Argan Oil treatment spray and the Argan Oil liquid oil by One & Only. This spray-on oil treatment is light-weight, alcohol free, and adds an amazing instant shine to the hair without any residue. The liquid oil when used on damp or dry hair superbly smoothes the rough cuticle on the hair, adding shine, increased manageability and most of all, protection from heat styling tools.